Friday, June 24, 2011

How to Deal with Aliyah Stress

As our Aliyah date quickly approaches and the stress mounts, I wanted to share a tip with all of those in the process and those who have made the leap that has helped me tremendously.

It is a simple thing and something that everyone can do…

Write down the good things that have happened throughout the process and the reasons you are making Aliyah and keep the list in your pocket. Continue to add to it as new things and experiences happen. It could be something as simple as someone congratulating you; it could be the funny questions your mother asks about Israel (yes, they have dogs and supermarkets in Israel; no, they don’t ride camels to work although some might); the parties and/or expos you have attended; the people you’ve get because you decided to make Aliyah; anything and everything good that has happened along the way.

This list, along with your reasons for making Aliyah, are what will help you keep your sanity… it’s the equivalent of an Aliyah stress ball. Sometimes reading it will do the trick but not every time. There are occasions when it helps to elaborate on some of the things on your list essentially reliving those moments. We all forget the good things to come and dwell on the stressful things happening right now but those good moments are the ones that make the packing, budgeting, saying goodbye, and general stressing out bearable.

When the stress begins to rise take it out, read it slowly (write if you need to), and thank Hashem for the gift that is Israel!

Also, when trying to cope, remember that you are not alone on the Aliyah emotional rollercoaster. No one is exempt from the swinging of the metronome. We all rock back and forth; the trick is not letting yourself get sea sick.

What are some of your tips? What has helped you cope with the stress and fatigue of the Aliyah process? If you are not the one making Aliyah, how have you coped with seeing your family or friends move to Israel?


12 comments:

  1. remember Israelis use their family and friends to solve life problems in Israel. We American's end up using large sums of money. Make lot of friends ask them for help first they might know some one that can help with every day big and small problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the thing that helped me cope best was getting my mindset right before we left. We've been here just going on 5 weeks and loving it! I think of it as sort of like a rubber ducky in the bath - no matter how the water splashes, the duck is happy to float on top and wait for it to calm down. Realize that there are going to be bad days and good days, just like in America. Try to laugh often and go with the flow. Hatzlacha on your upcoming aliyah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT advice! Thank you for sharing this tip with us and for the well wishes! I really appreciate your feedback and support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're looking to continue laughing about your experience with others when you come to Israel, you can watch hahafuch.com the English speaking comedy improv troupe in Israel. They write all kinds of skits about living in Israel and perform every few months in different parts of Israel. I write a blog called thebigfelafel.com which deals with essential tips for living in Israel. If you want to know about something specific in Israel, let me know and I'll see if I can find the answer for you. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca,

    Thank you for the link! My wife and I are now in Israel. I will be sure to check out the website soon and, maybe, be able to meet you in the near future.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean, I just wanted to invite you to the new JBC forum since the old one has closed. I see you are now in Israel. That's fantastic!!!!! Maybe you could come on over and tell us how things are going, once you're nice and settled.

    http://jewsbychoice.forumotion.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously things have changed during my long absence from this blog. I very much appreciate your invitation and I wish you the very best. While my path has brought me back to the US, I have no regrets making Aliyah and I hope that the JBC community emraces this calling to go home.

      Delete
  7. I am currently in the process of making Aliyah. I have decided to document my aliyah as well in a blog. Its very therapeutic to share my emotions and insights. I came across your blog and I am very glad of it. So far your insights and tips for managing the stress have been very comforting. It is a process with many emotions attached to it. Maybe all the olim should put together a book "Aliyah: Survival Guide". Any way just wanted to say thank you for posting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica - Thank you for your support. I commend you on both your decision to make Aliyah and for recording the amazing process. I hope that your journey home has been a blessing and that Hashem continues to bless you and your family. -Sean

      Delete
  8. I am planning to bring my family on aliyah within the next year. Our paperwork is in and our JA interview is next week. I've read your blog many times and it has helped inspire me to keep moving ahead.
    I just noticed that you are now back in the States. I apologize for being so bold, but... what went wrong? I feel awful that things did not work out for you, and honestly, a little scared about what I might be getting into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this response finds you at home in Israel in the warm embrace of Hashem. Obviously my path took an unexpected detour but my journey continues... I just started blogging again and I plan to address this subject at a later date (I don't know when as it is hard to discuss with such a lingering longing in my heart). When I do it will be posted on on the followng blog: http://backinthejewsa.blogspot.com/

      In the meantime, I plan on posting regularly (with no particular topics in mind) on the blog Time to Keep it Simple (http://timetokeepitsimple.blogspot.com/).

      Hopefully I will hear from you again but, if not, I understand and I wish you only the best.

      Delete