Monday, June 13, 2011

Aliyah Countdown


As our flight date quickly approaches (we are now taking off a half hour earlier than expected), I thought it was time to post a little countdown. Not the usual counting of days, something a little different.

·         10 weeks ago we attended the Aliyah Mega Event in NYC. This was the second year in a row that we attended and I recommend going if you have any interested in making Aliyah. In case you missed it, you can read about my experiences here.

·         9 months ago we told our families that we were going to make Aliyah. That was an interesting experience. Some reactions were positive others were a little volatile. It was a hectic day and a lot for our families to process.

·         I hope to be having lunch or a cup of coffee with my Rabbi in 8 weeks. He has been a tremendous help throughout this process and he will be arriving in Israel two weeks after we land to teach at a Yeshiva in Jerusalem for a short period of time over the summer. It has been too long since we sat and talked. 

·         7 weeks ago we got our Aliyah Visas! We didn’t expect to get them so soon. That is the best lunch break I think I have ever had. I still pull our passports out every once in a while and stare at them in disbelief.

·         6 weeks ago we got the signed lease back for our apartment in Nachlaot. We finally got our home in the homeland. It took a few emails back and forth, the kindness of a new friend, and some negotiation but we finally got it done.

·         Throughout this process, we had made our Aliyah plans anticipating not having jobs when we get there. However, that changed a few weeks ago. So, in 5 weeks I will have my first business meeting.

·         In 4 months we will be fulfilling our declaration as the New Year begins... This year in Jerusalem!

·         3 days from now I will be on my way down to Washington, DC. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were invited to the Embassy of Israel for an Olim Farewell Party (I still don’t know how we managed to get invited). I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

·         2 years ago we were falling in love with our Homeland while on our honeymoon. Oh, how things have changed.

·         Just under 1 month from now we will be Israelis. There is nothing else I can really say to describe the way that makes me feel so I am going to stop writing now.

15 comments:

  1. Great post, truly a great way of counting down :) Was the Aliyah Fair only 10 weeks ago? It feels like forever...
    B'ezrat HaShem, everything should go smoothly for you until and once you arrive! Have you guys found an apartment yet? Now that I'm here, if you need anyplace checked out I may able help, with that or anything else, let me know.
    Vered

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!! I wish I'd pulled the trigger years and years ago, but with kids I'm entrenched in American life - for now. I even wrote about it: http://njjewishnews.com/tribe/2010/04/20/im-the-cowardly-lion/
    Mazal tov!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @freevees I know. I thought it was longer until I looked at the calendar. Thank you for the well wishes. We have an apartment in Nachlaot waiting for us when we get there. Nothing much but its a place to land and its walking distance to everything. Now we just have to finish getting everything done here before we go. We should all get together once we arrive.

    @Alia Thank you. You never know. Maybe it will all come together for you in the future. Remember, there's no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! You really keep my spirit up and right now I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eli,

    Thank you for the wonderful compliment. We are all in this together I'm just glad I can make a small contribution to help others. We need to be there for one another and support one another. You have inspired many others (including me) with your words so I am glad i could return the favor.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. mazal tov on your Aliyah...I am also planning to make Aliyah to Haifa in 2011 or 2012...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve,

    Thank you. I hope that you have a smooth Aliyah! It can seem daunting at times but it is also an amazing feeling when you take each step and move forward in the planning and application process. Best of luck to you.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Blog Sean, and great to see you have everything falling into place. I am making Aliyah from UK in August still got a lot to sort out but know it will all come together in the end. Behazlehah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ingrid,

    Thank you for the compliment. It is a hectic process at times but, as you said, it will come together in the end. Best of luck to you in your journey home!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  10. yehudis golshevskyJune 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM

    You're welcome to come for Shabbos when you arrive--we are in Meah Shearim, easy walking distance from Nachlaot. I also teach a regular class there.
    A "yishuv tov," as we say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shalom Yehudis,

    Thank you for your generous offer. Be careful, we may take you up on it. :)

    I look forward to meeting you!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I was reading your blog and I was wondering if you are making Aliyah with nefesh b nefesh’s Aliyah flight on july 11th from NY. I am and I am making Aliyah alone and I am trying to meet people so that I feel a little more secure.

    I also really like your blog.

    Shoshan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shalom Shoshan,

    Yes! My wife and I will be on the July 11th charter flight! Hopefully we will be there early (that is really up in the air as we will be traveling from central NJ during rush hour). We would really like to meet you at the airport and we will introduce you to some of the people we have met that will be on the flight as well. Also, feel free to check out my wife's blog for another Aliyah perspective: http://www.samanthasjewishjourney.blogspot.com/

    See you soon!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your quick reply. I am really excited to meet you, your wife and the people you will introduce me to. I have enjoyed reading both or your blogs. I am only 17, going alone, and getting a little spooked by the idea. Here is my e-mail shoshanwaldstein@yahoo.com . For both of you and anyone else making aliyah - they contact me at this address. I am just starting my blog at http://shoshanandaliyah.blogspot.com

    Shoshan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shoshan,

    I am glad that we had a chance to meet on the plane. What a wonderful experience; what a shock to the system. I will start posting again shortly. keep me updated on your progress and feel free to email me at seanmteaford@hotmail.com. I hope to hear from you again soon.

    Regards,

    Sean

    ReplyDelete